PC Basics Courseware Training Materials
Foundation / Intermediate level computer training materials for delivering training to your students, staff or clients. A courseware site licence allows you to train an unlimited number of people, at your training center using these teaching resources.
Training Course Outlines
- Electronic mail (e-mail)
- Instant messaging (IM)
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds
- Blogging (web logs)
SHARING ON THE WEB
- Online communities
- Social networking websites
- Internet forums
- Chat rooms
- Online computer games
- Publishing and sharing content online.
- Sharing photos, video and audio clips.
- Precautions when accessing online communities
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Lighting issues when using a computer
- Screen and keyboard positioning
- Seating issues when using a computer
- Recommended computer usage techniques
- Make sure that cables are safely secured
- Make sure that power points are not overloaded
- Computer recycling options
- Computer energy saving options
- Computer logon user name (ID) and password.
- Password policies
- Off-site backups
- Why do you need to backup your computer?
- Organizing your computer for better backups
- Complete vs. incremental backups
- What is a firewall?
- Computer viruses
- What is copyright?
- Copyright Issues when copying files
- Site licenses are used by larger organizations
- Checking software licence status
- Product registration and activation.
- What is an ‘end-user license agreement’?
- Types of licence agreement
- What is shareware?
- What is freeware?
- Open source software
- Data Protection and Privacy Issues
- Data Protection Legislation
- Data protection legislation relating to data controllers
- Data protection legislation relating to data subjects
- Types of computer
- Parts of a computer
- What is software?
- What is an operating system?
- Difference between the operating system and application programs
- Examples of software applications
- Accessibility options
- Voice recognition software
- Screen reader software
- Screen magnifier software
- On-screen keyboard
- Factors affecting computer performance
- CPU Clock speed
- RAM size
- Hard disk speed and storage
- Free hard disk space
- De-fragmenting files
- Multitasking considerations
- CPU speeds
- What is computer memory?
- Video (graphics) memory
- Measurement of storage capacity
- Types of storage media
- Internal hard disks
- External hard disks
- USB memory sticks
- Memory cards
- Network drives and on-line file storage
- Floppy disks (diskettes)
INPUT AND OUTPUT DEVICES
- What are input devices?
- Tracker balls
- Touch pads
- Web cams
- Digital cameras
- What are output devices?
- Traditional computer monitor
- Flat screen computer screens
- Projection devices
- Speakers and headphones
- Speech synthesizers
- Different types of printer
- Laser printers
- Color laser printers
- Inkjet printers
- Dot Matrix printers
- Some devices are both input and output devices.
- LAN (Local Area Network)
- WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network)
- WAN (Wide Area Network)
- Client/server networks
- World Wide Web (WWW) vs. the Internet
DATA TRANSFER TERMINOLOGY
- Downloading from & uploading to a network
- Data transfer rate measurement
- Broadband vs. dial-up Internet connection services
- Internet connection options
- Features of a broadband Internet connection
ABBREVIATIONS & TERMINOLOGY